Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Televisions impact on society

I would agree strongly. Watching television for the most part is completely unprofitable for people. What does someone gain from watching a 1 hour comedy television show? Or a 1 hour drama? How about two or three everyday? Sure, it provides some short term entertainment, but to what benefit? Does it help their health and well-being? Yes, it has been proven that laughter is very useful action that benefits the body. Does the laughter benefit enough to compensate for the damage done? I don't think so.


So, you might be asking 'how does watching television negeatively impact you?' To which I might reply, how does watching television benefit you? But I hope to persaude you to agree with me after I share a few short thoughts with you.



Television Statistics







According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.



How productive is it for you to watch tv? While I know that that statistic does not apply to everyone, it is a good example for supporting my case. How about instead of watching TV for 9 years, you instead worked harder at your job? Or, persued a profitable hobby which you enjoy? Where would you be? Or, what about spending time with a family member? Helping someone with a project? Those are just a few examples of how to better spend your time.


What I am getting at, is that watching TV is really a waste of time. Life is to short to waste it watching 4 hours, or EVEN 1 hour of TV a day. I don't think it's to harmful to watch a movie every now and then, but once it gets to be several hours of TV a week, it becomes to much. If you were working, for example, and making just a few hours wage each week instead of watching TV and then invested that money, where could you be finiancally?


When you are watching TV, your brain practically shuts off... it is completely unengaged when watching TV. Just some thoughts to think about. Hope you guys enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Ben. It's amazing how much time we waste especially when you sit down and calculate it...like you said literally years just gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I waste alot of time watching TV. This made me realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting to see all that TV time converted into how much electricity is used every year producing, transmitting and recieveing television.

    ReplyDelete